Pets and People: A Magical Connection
When pets and humans connect, both benefit – it’s that simple. The bond between pets and humans has extensive psychological and health benefits for both. People with pets are happier, healthier, better adjusted, and live longer.
The veterinary profession’s mission is to safeguard and expand this ‘magical’ benefit and relationship. Boomerang Vet’s parallel objective is to improve the preventive and overall health care communications between our practices and their clients, resulting in longer, healthier lives for our pets – and their two legged friends.
Human Health Benefits of Pets According to the Delta Society, are:
- Pet owners have lower blood pressure, triglyceride and cholesterol levels, than non-owners
- Seniors who own dogs go to the doctor less than those who do not
- Heart disease patients with pets have higher survival rates than non-pet owning heart disease patients
- Autistic children with pets demonstrate more advanced range of helpful and engaging behaviors and less autistic behaviors
- Children who own pets demonstrate more empathetic and caring behaviors than non-owners redundant
- Pet owners have reduced anxiety and better psychological well-being
A Word from Dr. Swartz
As I was growing up, I knew a life with pets was my destiny. Like almost everyone in our profession, I experienced the wondrous relationship I refer to as a “boy and his dog”. I didn’t attempt to understand or define the attachment with our family dogs, but simply knew the magic and affection I experienced was powerful. I feel very fortunate that my affinity for pets and appreciation for how they enrich our lives has only grown over time. My more recent experience as a Therapy Dog team with my beloved Golden Retriever Daphne reinforced the significant positive impact pets have on our lives.
Hank Swartz, DVM, MBA